We have several library facilities:
For detailed information about what can be borrowed and for how long as well as for our borrowing policies, please see our borrowing materials page.
Fines do apply if items are returned late, so students should pay close attention to due dates. They also will get an email reminder a few days before items are due.
BORROWING FROM THE SU LIBRARIES: Students can borrow materials that circulate from the SU Libraries by presenting their SU ID card at the Library Service Desk on the first floor of the GAC for materials housed in the GAC and at the CRC Service Desk in the CRC for materials housed in the CRC. They also can download the SU Libraries App from the App Store or Google Play and use an electronic version of their card through the App to borrow materials.
BORROWING FROM OTHER LIBRARIES: Students can borrow from other libraries in two ways:
1. Direct Borrowing: The SU Libraries are part of a library consortium known as USMAI, which stands for the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions, which together own more than 8 million books. Books from all these libraries are included in our online catalog and can be requested by clicking the "Request Item" button in the search results. The requested item will be delivered to the Library Service Desk on the first floor of the GAC, where it can be checked out and returned.
2. Interlibrary Loan: Students may request books not available at SU or in the USMAI consortium through a service called Interlibrary Loan or ILL (pronounced eye-ell-ell) for short. In the search results, under "Libraries Worldwide," there is a button, "Request item through Interlibrary Loan"--clicking that button will take a student to the ILL pages to enter the request. Students also may request items directly through their ILL account, which they will be prompted to create the first time they use ILL (it's very easy!). The ILL staff will then try to find another library that will lend the book to our student; the book will be shipped to us and will be available at the Library Service Desk in the GAC to check out and return. For distance students, we will ship the book to their home address.
We do allow food and drink in most areas of the GAC. In fact, we even have food service in the building! Here are the options:
1. Chesapeake Bay Roasting Company: This coffee shop is found on the first floor of the cafe at the Red Square end of the GAC. See the CBRC website for details.
2. Hungry Minds Express: This eatery has a grill for hot sandwiches and paninis as well as other food items for sale. See the Hungry Minds website for details.
3. Vending machines: These are on the second floor. The second floor of the cafe has three vending machines, which have coffee, bottled drinks, and salty/sweet items. At the other end of the second floor, by the women's restroom, there is one vending machine with salty/sweet items.
The GAC is equipped with a bountiful supply of restrooms. On each floor, there are large restrooms for men on the northeast side of the central core and for women on the southeast side of the central core. The second floor of the Cafe has two unisex individual restrooms. There are baby-changing stations in the two unisex restrooms on the second floor of the Cafe and in the far stalls of the first-floor men's and women's restrooms.
There is a small "Mother's Room" on the first floor opposite the women's restroom near the Rte. 13 entrance to the GAC. Equipped with a soft chair and a sink, this private room provides quiet space for mothers who need to breastfeed their babies or pump milk.