Course Reserves are materials that faculty set aside for limited check out periods (physical reserves) or online (e-reserves) to facilitate student access. These can be library books, chapters, articles, DVDs/films, binders of student projects, maps, posters, or any item owned by the faculty member or the SU Libraries.
- Stored behind the Library Service Desk in the Guerrieri Academic Commons
- Students may check these materials out with a valid Gull Card.
- Most physical reserves do not circulate outside the library, but the terms of checkout are set by the professor.
- Digital resources available to students on their MyClasses course pages (Canvas Learning Management System)
- The professor adds materials (links or files) directly to the Canvas course page.
- SU Libraries Reserves Staff is available to manage the copyright review process (assessing fair use, seeking permissions, and making payments if needed), as long as faculty submit requests to us!
Faculty should take advantage of the SU Libraries' Course Reserves services to ensure that items that they post on Canvas/MyClasses meet copyright requirements -- we want to make it easy and efficient for you to fulfill this obligation! We will apply for permissions for you, and pay copyright fees, within reason. All you need to do is use our online Course Reserves System to submit citations of articles or chapters you are posting at the beginning of each term.