Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Zotero's Group feature lets you share references with other Zotero users. It's especially useful for group work and projects.
- Ensure your Zotero library is synced using the green 'sync' icon.
- Log in at zotero.org.
- Search for existing public groups or create a new group.
- Groups may be:
- public (anyone can view your group and join searchable).
- private (only members can view your group online and must be invited to join).
- private with closed membership (anyone can view your group online, but members must apply to join or be invited).
- You should now have two sections in your Zotero collections pane: "My Library" and "Group Libraries". You can drag items back and forth between them at will.
Public Libraries and RSS Feeds
Making Your Library Public
You can share your library without allowing others to add to it by making it public.
- Login to your online Zotero account at www.zotero.org/user/login.
- Click on 'Settings' in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on 'Privacy.'
- Select the box next to 'Publish your library' and click 'Update settings' to complete the change.
- Here you also have the option to publish notes attached to your references by selecting 'Publish notes' and then clicking 'Update settings'.
You can send the URL to others so they can view your Zotero library.
Subscribing to Libraries via RSS Feeds
If you've made your library public, others can subscribe to your library feed through something called an RSS feed. You can use RSS feeds to get automatic updates when someone adds content to a library you are subscribed to as well.
To subscribe to a Zotero library RSS feed:
- Go to the public library you would like to follow.
- Click 'Subscribe to this feed' on the left underneath the list library folders and tags.
- Choose how you would like to subscribe to the feed by clicking on the drop-down menu and selecting one of the options. You can subscribe via live bookmarks, a specific application, or My Yahoo!.
- Once you've selected how you want to subscribe, click 'Subscribe now'.
Now you are set up to get automatic updates from the public Zotero library of your choice!