Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
+In the research process: BOOKS
1. Explore topic basics (casual web searching)
2. Background (library catalog: books)
3. Current research (library databases: journal articles)
4. Support your argument (source citation)
5. Drafts & revisions (research librarians & Writing Center)
Why use books for research?
Why use books for my research?
- Detailed analysis of a topic
- Background information
- Overview of big issue
- Use their bibliographies to find other sources
Ways to Get Resources
There are three ways to get library books here at SU. In the order you should look for your item, you can borrow from
- SU Libraries
- Direct Borrowing from our consortium,The University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI)
- Interlibrary loan (ILL) from libraries outside USMAI
Policies can be seen here.
To check the status of items or renew them online: ILL, USMAI. All accounts use the same login information (what is used for Gullnet, email, and campus computers).
Found it in the catalog? Use the call number locator to find it in the building
Call Number Locator: The call number of a library item is like a home address. Copy and paste any call number you find in the library catalog to see where it lives in the library.
Call Numbers to Browse
- N- Visual Arts
- NA- Architecture
- NB- Sculpture
- NC- Drawing, Design, Illustration
- ND- Painting
- NE- Print Media
- NK- Decorative Arts
- NX- Arts in General