Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Think. Check. Attend
Think. Check. Attend is a checklist that aims to assist researchers to differentiate between an authentic conference and a predatory or bogus conference.
To start the checker, click here.
Conference evaluation checklist
To check the reliability of a conference, answer the following questions:
Organizers & Sponsors
- Are you aware of the society or the association organizing this conference?
- Can you easily identify the venue of the conference?
- Is it the first time this conference has been held?
- Have you or your colleagues attended this conference before?
- Is it clear what fees will be charged (conference fee, registration fees, …) and if these will be waived if you are accepted as a speaker?
- Are any sponsors involved in the conference?
- Are you aware of any of them, especially with industry-related fields such as Engineering & Biomedical research?
- Did you check the conference website? Can you find all the information presented in a proper way such as the (attendance fees, submission date, conference date, editorial committee, program details, venue)?
- Have you read any papers from this conference proceedings before?
Agenda & Editorial Committee
- Is there clear information about the timeline and the agenda for the conference?
- Do the scope and objectives of the conference fit your field and core interest or not?
- Have you heard of the Keynote speakers?
- Is the Editorial Committee listed on the website?
- Have you heard of the Editorial Committee members before?
- Is the Committee clear about the editorial control over presentations and the type of peer-review it uses?
Is the Organizing Committee clear about where the proceedings will be published?
Does the conference make it clear which indexing services it can guarantee published proceedings and to which indexers it will submit the proceedings for evaluation?
Is the publisher of the proceedings a member of a recognized industry initiative such as COPE, DOAJ, OASPA?
Think, Check. Attend. CC BY 2.0