Due April 13
Students must choose a folk song (or melody) from another culture (other than one that you are familiar with or grew up in) and adapt it into a melody on your primary instrument (voice or piano is also acceptable).
- Translate the tune into the musical notation you are familiar with on your instrument and write it out.
- Show the original tune as it is notated in another musical language.
- Give the background of the tune and focus upon how it is used in another culture.
- Show a map of the country that the tune comes from.
- Explain the musical language of the culture it comes from; show how this melody is used on an instrument.
- How does it relate to the religious, and/or political expressions of the country it is from?
You will need to:
- Do a Power Point presentation answering these questions with no more than 8-10 slides.
- Be able to play the melody on your instrument or the piano in class.
- Include a short bibliography that includes at least 5 sources. (See bibliography guidelines for listening assignments as a guide.)
- Hand in a hard copy of your Power Point with references at the time of your presentation.