Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
SU Libraries offer help with EndNote, Zotero, and RefWorks. Although there is not a specific trainer for Mendeley, we provide links to various tutorials.
Sometimes students wonder which citation management tool to use. This is a personal preference and you may also want to check with your department. Here are some links that offer comparison between different tools:
NEW! ProQuest RefWorks
RefWorks is a "next-generation" citation management tool that can help researchers cite sources in all of styles most commonly used at SU like APA, MLA, Chicago, Turabian, ACS, AMA, and thousands of others. With this tool, researchers can gather, organize, read, annotate, and cite their research sources. Plus, RefWorks creates an online collaboration space that enables groups of researchers to work together from any location.
For help with the account creation process and getting the most out of this tool, visit SU Libraries' RefWorks guide.
More guides and tutorials, check out::
Video Tutorial Library
Guide to RefWorks
Campus Trainer, James Parrigin
Zotero: Citation Management Tool
Zotero - A free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share research
- Automatically senses research on the web that can be saved to your Zotero Library. Stores an unlimited number of references
- Helps you organize your research any way you want. You can sort items into collections and tag them with keywords. Or create saved searches that automatically fill with relevant materials as you work
- Instantly creates references and bibliographies for any text editor, and directly inside Word and LibreOffice, using ANY citation style
- Can optionally synchronize your data across devices, keeping your notes, files, and bibliographic records seamlessly up to date. If you decide to sync, you can also always access your research from any web browser
- Lets you co-write a paper with a colleague, distribute course materials to students, or build a collaborative bibliography. You can share a Zotero library with as many people you like, at no cost
Zotero Quick Start Guide
Video Tutorials (for Zotero 5.0)
Campus Trainer, Stephen Ford:
See the Zotero: Citation Management Tool Guide
EndNote has different versions including paid desktop version and freely available online version. Here's a Comparison Chart from Clarivate.
- Freely available online reference manager, online counterpart to EndNote desktop
- Web-based software available through our database, Web of Science.
- Users must register for an account.
- Free version of EndNote Basic has 21 styles, with a maximum of 50,000 references and up to 2 GB of attachments
- EndNote Basic via Web of Science has thousands of styles and hundreds of filters and connection files.
- Share references with other EndNote Basic users.
- Cite-While-You-Write - by installing the Microsoft Word plug-in, you can insert reference and format papers instantly.
Resources for EndNote Basic and EndNote Online
EndNote Desktop (current version EndNote20)
- Paid version. Provides student discounts.
- Unlimited storage
- Robust desktop version lets you store the full texts of the articles (unlimited file attachment)
- Share a library with iptp 100 other users
- 7,000+ predefined styles, plus create your own
- MS Word Cite-While-You-Write integration
Campus Trainer, Mou Chakraborty
Mendeley - A free reference manager and academic social network that can help you organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover the latest research:
- Automatically generate bibliographies
- Collaborate easily with other researchers online
- Easily import papers from other research software
- Find relevant papers based on what you are reading
- Access you papers from anywhere online
- Read papers on the go, with iOS and Android apps
While the library does not have a designated trainer, Mou Chakraborty can probably answer basic questions.