Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
In the research process: ARTICLES
1. Explore topic context & primary sources (the open web)
2. Learn the background (library catalog: books)
3. Discover scholarly conversations
(library databases: journal articles)
4. Support your argument (source citation)
5. Rinse, repeat; drafts & revisions (research librarians, writing center)
Searching Library Databases
Searching in Academic Search Ultimate
1. Search: social media = 44,926
2. Add: privacy = 1,447
3. Narrow further by adding: policies = 341
4. Decide whether or not to LIMIT results to Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals.
5. Let's review the an article's record and tools.
6. Search your own topic. Find a potentially useful article, and add the citation to RefWorks.
Academic Search Ultimate
Academic Search Ultimate offers access to an unprecedented collection of resources including journals, magazines, reports, books, and videos. Many are peer-reviewed and full-text. Subjects range from astronomy to zoology.
Provides abstracts and indexing for 2,650 general periodicals. Full text of articles for nearly 2,000 periodicals, and 5,000 full text Magill Book Reviews.
Differences between popular magazines and scholarly journals