Last Updated: Aug 26, 2014
Listening Room BL 211
Small room containing playback equipment for CDs and a computer for accessing music online.
Soundproof room contains an electronic keyboard; headphones are available at the Circulation Desk.
Access to both of these rooms is by Gull Card. You must first have your Gull Card activated by the Administrative Specialist in the Music Department.
Welcome to the Music research guide !
- Reference - essential research tools; best places to start your search
- Find Books - books in Blackwell Library, the University System of Maryland, and other libraries
- Find Articles - index databases that lead to articles in scholarly journals and/or other music periodicals
- Find Scores - printed and electronic scores in Blackwell Library or borrow them online from other libraries worldwide
- Listening - CDs in the library, plus thousands of recordings streamed from library databases
- Internet Sources - selection of recommended locations for free music information
- Citing sources - examples in Turabian/Chicago style with links to other styles
- Classes/Topics - research guides for your classes and assignments
- Faculty interests - resources for instruction, research, and professional interests
Free downloads and other goodies:
- This week's free folk music download
This week's free featured download from Smithsonian Global Sound® for Libraries is Israel Forbes – I'm Going Home on the Morning Train.
- October "CD Hotlist"
This month's recommendations include a wonderful new album from British folk-rock legend Linda Thompson; minimalist masterpieces arranged for mallet keyboards; new music from the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and from Ahmad Jamal; a new album of original songs from Alice Gerrard; Elvis Costello's much-anticipated collaboration with the Roots; and much more. Enjoy!
- Music Media Monthly
"As the weather gets nippy and the afternoons start to darken earlier, we at Music Media Monthly know that you need books and websites and CDs and videos to hunker down with in the warmth and comfort of your homes. So, here we are again–this time with recommendations that include a website filled with free music from Ontario; video recordings of a new opera by Philip Glass and an old one by Carl Maria von Weber; a new biography of Duke Ellington; and recordings ranging from Estonian folk hymns to modern lo-fi ambient electro-pop. Enjoy!"
- Classical music free download of the week
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's, Divertimento, K. 136.
- Black Grooves (latest edition)
new releases from two celebrated opera singers—Angela Brown performing Richard Danielpour’s A Woman’s Life, and Lawrence Brownlee’s album This Heart That Flutters—in addition to Ensemble Paladino’s (flutist Eric Lamb and cellist Martin Rummel) Bach (Re)inventions vol. 1, and the duo Black Violin’s classical-meets-hip-hop album Classically Trained.
Office: BL 129
Phone: (410) 543-6306
Office Hours in BL 129:
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Fridays, 10:00 AM to 12:00 PMSend Email